Chest congestion is characterized by the inflammation of the lower part of the respiratory track which causes difficult in breathing and pain, ranging from mild to acute in the chest area. People with chest congestion have mucus and other substances accumulating in their lung and sometimes when they cough, the substances are expelled and they feel pressure on their chest. Before you look into chest congestion relief, you need to understand that there are different causes for chest congestion. chest congestion
Some of the causes include:
1. Pneumonia: It causes an inflammation in the lung, and it comes with symptoms like: difficulty in breathing, high fever, constant fatigue, chills and difficulty in breathing.
2. Bronchitis: It is an infection that affects the bronchial tubes or lung airways and it’s symptoms include: blocked nose, headaches, fever and cough.
3. Common cold: with symptoms like constant coughing, blocked nose and fever, common cold can cause irritation of the respiratory system.
4. Allergies: Some allergies, especially the ones that affect respiration can be huge contributors to chest congestion.
5. Lung cancer: growth of cancerous cells on the lung can block the airways and cause discomfort on the chest.
Some of the most common treatments used for chest congestion relief include:
1. Keeping your body hydrated: taking in a lot of fluids will clear away the mucus and make your chest feel less congested. You can spice your fluid intake by infusing lemon and mint in water. Alternatively, you can drink herbal teas such as green tea and lemon grass which are rich in antioxidants.
2. Steam: Inhaling steam softens phlegm that could be causing your chest congestion. You don’t have to go to a sophisticated steaming room to do this., You can do it at home by boiling water and adding drops of essential oils such as tea tree oil or eucalyptus. Put the boiled water in a bucket, bed your face towards the bucket and inhale the steam. additionally, you can buy a humidifier so that you do not inhale dry air which can be irritating to the airway.
3. Eating spicy food: Foods such as ginger, pepper and garlic are great for chest congestion relief. You can use them in your food, or you can mix them with water and drink. You will get immediate relief because they work by decongesting your respiratory system. They are also good antioxidants and they are likely to flush out what is causing your chest congestion.
4. Exercises: Mild exercises like jogging or walking and jogging are beneficial because they allow your airways to open so that you can take in more air. However, you should avoid intense work outs as you may overwork your lungs and have extreme difficulty in breathing, which could be fatal.
5. Elevating your head: if you feel like your nasal passage is blocked, try putting pillows under your head to allow the airways to open so that you can breath easily.
You should visit a doctor if none of these chest congestion relief methods work for you, since it can be an indication of something serious. An x-ray on the chest will be able to determine if you need further treatment or surgery to cure your condition.